The original school was opened by Councillor Peter Lee JP on Saturday 22nd March 1930. The school was named The A.J Dawson Secondary School after the Director of Education who was well known in the area as he often visited schools. In subsequent years and reflecting changes to educational policy the school has been known as A.J Dawson Grammar School, Wellfield A. J Dawson Grammar School, Wellfield Comprehensive School, Wellfield Community School and now simply Wellfield School.
Wellfield Comprehensive School started as an amalgamation of three schools, Wellfield Grammar School (previously AJ Dawson), Wingate Secondary Modern School and Wheatley Hill Secondary Modern School. Then Yohden Hall School closed in the 1980’s and pupils and staff from this school also joined Wellfield.
Wellfield has been judged as a “good” school by Ofsted in 2014 and 2018.
Wingate Secondary School Headteachers
|Mr W A Moyes||1963||1973|
|Mr D Haigh||1973||1980|
A J Dawson Grammar School Headteachers
|Mr J Ingram, BSC||1930||1946|
|Mr G A Carr, MC, MA||1946||1959|
|Mr S Steward, MA||1959||1971|
|Mr T H Dennis, BSC||1972||1980|
Wheatley Hill Secondary School Headteachers
|Mr A Harris, MBE||1953||1975|
|Mr E Ward||1975||1978|
|Mr G Adams||1978||1980|
Wellfield School Headteachers
|Mr T H Dennis, BSC||1980||1985|
|Mr G B McHugh||1985||1989|
|Dr J Jordan, BEd, PhD||1990||2000|
|Mrs J F Elliott, BA, NPQH||2000||2011|
|Mrs L Rodham, MA, NPQH||2012||Current|
- Durham County Council Photo Archive
- Memories of Wellfield
- Whole School Photo from 1961
- Memories of Wingate
- War Memorial Plaque
- Wingate – The New Century
- Ted Harrison – Biography
For all other images, you can view our Archived Image Galleries on our School Facebook account.