The original school was opened by Councillor Peter Lee JP on Saturday 22nd March 1930. The school was named The A.J Dawson Secondary School after the Director of Education who was well known in the area as he often visited schools. In subsequent years and reflecting changes to educational policy the school has been known as A.J Dawson Grammar School, Wellfield A. J Dawson Grammar School, Wellfield Comprehensive School, Wellfield Community School and now simply Wellfield School.

Wellfield Comprehensive School started as an amalgamation of three schools, Wellfield Grammar School (previously AJ Dawson), Wingate Secondary Modern School and Wheatley Hill Secondary Modern School. Then Yohden Hall School closed in the 1980’s and pupils and staff from this school also joined Wellfield.

Wellfield has been judged as a “good” school by Ofsted in 2014 and 2018.

Wingate Secondary School Headteachers

Mr W A Moyes19631973
Mr D Haigh19731980

A J Dawson Grammar School Headteachers

Mr J Ingram, BSC19301946
Mr G A Carr, MC, MA19461959
Mr S Steward, MA19591971
Mr T H Dennis, BSC19721980

Wheatley Hill Secondary School Headteachers

Mr A Harris, MBE19531975
Mr E Ward19751978
Mr G Adams19781980

Wellfield School Headteachers

Mr T H Dennis, BSC19801985
Mr G B McHugh19851989
Dr J Jordan, BEd, PhD19902000
Mrs J F Elliott, BA, NPQH20002011
Mrs L Rodham, MA, NPQH2012Current

History Links

Menu